DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA - APRIL 22: Tom English of the Melbourne Rebels during the Super Rugby match between Cell C Sharks and Rebels at Growthpoint Kings Park on April 22, 2017 in Durban, South Africa. (Photo by Steve Haag/Gallo Images)

Rebels call on ARU to make decision on Super Rugby cull

The Melbourne Rebels and Western Force are in a battle to save their clubs.

The two clubs have been named as the clubs in the firing line with Super Rugby set to be culled from 18 teams to 15 teams next year.

One of the two will not be in the competition beyond this season and the uncertainty is weighing on the players’ minds.

Rebels back, Tom English, said the ARU should make a decision straight away, rather than continue to leave players, coaches and fans in limbo.

“Your job as a professional player first and foremost is to focus on the game but that’s not to say that it doesn’t play on your mind,” English said.

“The ARU needs to come out and make a decision because they’re playing with people’s lives so rip the band aid off because indecision is just going to lead to more players leaving to play overseas.”

The teams to be cut had been expected to be formally announced during the middle of last month.

As part of the cull, South African teams will be cut down from six to four, while New Zealand will continue to have five teams.

Comments